It’s that time of the year again to gather our hopes for a better financial future and make New Year’s resolutions for 2018.
The biggest mistake is to create New Year’s resolutions that we can’t keep and won’t accomplish, like hitting the Powerball or selling our big idea to Apple.
That’s why it’s a good idea to think of our resolutions as goals that we will work toward achieving throughout 2018.
Here are my picks for the Top 5 Financial Resolutions for 2018:
1. Make More Money Than You Spend – This one is obvious, but if you’re planning to splurge on new snowmobiles for the winter and don’t have the cash, think twice about financing your purchase at the local Yamaha dealership.
2. Cut Back On Things You Don’t Use – Buying things out of habit can be a killer. If you subscribe to the full HD channel package from your cable company, but you plan on hitting the slopes most of the winter, consider it a trade-off and cancel the package.
3. Earn Some Extra Money – All of us want more cash in our pocket, but this year, get crackin’ and do something about. Build a skill, start hustling, and make your effort pay off.
4. Build A Budget – Understanding where your money goes is as important as earning it. You don’t have to be a penny pincher, but do some basic math and see where you’re spending those hard-earned dollars.
5. Invest In Your Future – This is the year to start thinking about retirement. Even if you start small, find someplace you’re comfortable investing your money, and begin putting away funds for your future.
Over 50% of Americans will be making a finance-related New Year’s resolution for 2018, so this is a great opportunity to refocus your finances and learn about making money goals.
Happy New Year and may your financial dreams all come true.