Spin is a free-roaming scooter-sharing service that you can use to commute to work, go to class, run errands or explore your city.
You can pick up an electric-powered scooter wherever it is parked and ride it to anywhere that you want to go in your city.
When you’re finished, you can park your Spin scooter anywhere within city limits on a wide public sidewalk or another appropriate area.
You don’t have to worry about returning your Spin to a specific docking station, which is great for 1-way trips and quick rides around town.
Spin rides cost $1 for every 30 minutes, and they offer Spin Unlimited memberships as well as partnership and student pricing options that help you save money when using Spin.
Get a Free Spin Ride: Download the Spin App for iOS or Android and enter the Spin Referral Code “ILCATQLQVVYV5LA” in the “Your Promos” section (under “Free Rides” on the Menu) to receive $5 in free Spin ride credits.
Spin Scooter Sharing Cities
- Aurora, CO
- Charlotte, NC
- Coral Gables, FL
- Dallas, TX
- Doral, FL
- Durham, NC
- Jefferson City, MO
- Lexington, KY
- Los Angeles, CA
- Miami Lakes, FL
- Miami Springs, FL
- Salisbury, MD
- San Diego, CA
- Seattle, WA
- South San Francisco, CA
- Towson, MD
- Troy, AL
- Washington, DC
- Ypsilanti, MI
If you don’t live in a city with Spin, you can try Bird Electric Scooter Rentals to take a free electric scooter ride in your city.
How To Get $5 in Free Spin Ride Credits
1. Download the Spin App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
2. Register by either entering your Facebook information or using your email address (Facebook registration is open to everyone, but email registration is limited to .edu addresses and participating local business addresses).
3. Once registered, visit the “Free Rides” section under the Menu, then go to the “Your Promos” tab, and click the button to Add Promo Code “ILCATQLQVVYV5LA” to your account.
4. You will receive $5 in free ride credits that will expire in 1 year for entering the referral code.
5. In order to start using Spin, you will need to connect your payment information and add an initial balance of $5 (on top of the free $5 credit), because Spin requires that you pay in advance for your first ride.
6. Right now, you will receive an additional $1 in free credit when you add your credit card, so you’ll then have $11 in ride credits ($5 referral credit + $5 initial payment + $1 for adding credit card = $11 in available ride credits for only $5).
7. Once you add your payment method, you can then start using Spin and redeem your free rides at a price of $1 for every 30 minutes of ride time.
Please note that this promotion provides you with $11 in total ride credits for an initial credit card charge of $5, so you will get $6 in free credits at this time on top of your $5 in paid credits. At a cost of $1 for every 30 minutes, you will receive 5.5 hours of ride time for only $5.
How To Use Spin for Scooter Rides
1. Access the scooter map on the main page within the Spin App, where you can search for the nearest “orange blip” on the map, which indicates the nearest scooter to your location.
2. When you locate the nearest scooter to you, select the “Scan Now” option in the app to scan the QR code located behind the scooter, either on the lock or the license plate.
3. Once the QR code is scanned, the bike will automatically unlock and you’re ready to ride.
4. After your trip is over, you end your trip by re-locking the bike (just pull the lock lever down and secure it).
5. You can park your scooter anywhere within city limits on a wide public sidewalk or another appropriate area.
6. When you lock the scooter at the end of your trip, your scooter trip will automatically terminate in the Spin App
Spin Scooter Ride Pricing
- Spin costs $1 for every 30 minutes per trip.
- If your trip lasts 20 minutes, that counts as a $1 trip.
- If your trip lasts 50 minutes, that counts as a $2 trip.
- The ride charge will be deducted from your initial balance that you added when signing up, and you’ll have to reload your balance once it is depleted.
- If you take a trip that costs more than your available balance, the remainder will be taken out from your payment option on file.
- Spin Unlimited Membership: Allows you to pay $29 per month or $99 per year for unlimited 30-minute rides – rather than paying the regular rate of $1 per 30-minute trip.
- Student Pricing and Partnership Pricing with local businesses is also available.
- Spin Access: Allows those who don’t have a credit card or smartphone to purchase a Spin Access card at partner locations with cash, and then redeem your ride time without using the app.
Spin Referral Program for Free Rides
Once you sign up for a free Spin App account, you can participate in the Spin Refer-A-Friend Program to give your friends $5 in free ride credits, and you’ll earn a $5 Spin credit for each new user that you refer.
You will earn a free Spin ride once a new user that you refer redeems your promo code and takes their first ride with Spin.
There is no limit to the amount of people that you can refer to Spin or the number of free ride credits that you can earn.
Your free ride credits will appear in the “Your Promos” section of your account, and they will be automatically applied toward your future Spin scooter rides.
If you’ve already tried Spin, please feel free to share your experiences with scooter sharing in your city along with your referral codes for other readers to use within the comments below this article.