GIG offers 1-way car sharing with a fleet of Toyota Prius c Hybrids that you can drive anywhere and keep as long as you want with fuel, insurance, and parking included.
To get started with GIG, you simply download the app (iOS/Android), apply for free membership, find a nearby car, reserve it, get in, and drive away.
All GIG cars are kept within their HomeZone, but you can drive anywhere you want within the U.S.A. and keep the car for as long as you need.
However, you must end your trip by parking your car anywhere in the HomeZone, but there is no need to return your car to any specific spot.
GIG HomeZones are available in the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, and Seattle, and you can take a GIG anywhere within the U.S.A. and stop as much as you like along the way, just as long as you end your trip in the HomeZone.
The Toyota Prius c Hybrids come with bike racks, cargo space, 5 seats, and an automatic transmission, so they are ready for anything from daily commutes to weekend excursions.
Every trip that you take with GIG includes insurance (restrictions and limitations apply), gas, parking in the HomeZone, maintenance, 24/7 support, and AAA roadside assistance at no extra cost.
It’s absolutely free to join GIG Car Share (non-referral link) with no membership fees, no application fees, and no annual fees whatsoever.
Plus, you can participate in the GIG Referral Program to get a $15 free driving credit for new members and earn a $15 bonus credit for each new driver that you refer to GIG.
How GIG Car Share Works
1. GIG cars are parked in designated areas that are called a HomeZone.
2. Check the GIG app to find a car that is located near you within a HomeZone.
3. Book a car to place it on hold for 30 minutes, or access any GIG car on the street with a green light on the windshield (that means it’s available).
4. Once you arrive at your GIG car, you simply unlock it with your phone or GIG Card.
5. Drive almost anywhere within the U.S.A. and keep the car for as long as you want.
6. GIG will automatically apply the best rate for your trip, whether it’s by the mile, the hour, or the day.
7. If you want to make a stop without giving up your ride, you can choose “Park and Come Back,” which will allow you to hold your car while you do your thing.
8. To end your GIG trip, you must park your car in any approved parking location within the HomeZone.
- You pay by the mile, hour, or day – GIG will determine the most affordable rate for you.
- Per Mile: $2.50.
- Per Hour: $15.00.
- Per Day: $85.00.
- Minimum charge per trip: $2.50.
- Park and come back on short trips less than 1 hour: $0.30/minute.
- Surcharge over 250 miles per trip: $0.45/mile.
- Gas, insurance, and parking within the HomeZone are included.
- GIGs designated with a gold pin on the map have a temporary lower per mile rate.
- AAA Members save 10% on standard driving rates.
There are no signup fees, membership fees, or annual charges for GIG, so you only pay for your use of the car.
GIG Referral Program $15 Driving Credits
GIG provides a referral program that offers both new and existing drivers with $15 in free driving credits.
New GIG members will receive a $15 driving credit when you sign up for GIG through a current member’s referral link.
Current GIG members will also receive a $15 driving credit after your referrals take their first trip.
To share GIG referrals, just visit the “Refer A Friend” page in the app in order to access your unique referral link.
GIG $15 Referral Links to Use
- GIG Referral Link #1
- GIG Referral Link #2 (Your Link Could Be Here).
- GIG Referral Link #3 (Your Link Could Be Here).
- GIG Referral Link #4 (Your Link Could Be Here).
- GIG Referral Link #5 (Your Link Could Be Here).
Please feel free to exchange GIG referral links and your experiences with the GIG car share service in the comments below this article, and I will update the above list with the links from anyone who shares them.
In order for the new GIG user (referee) to receive the $15 free driving credit, you must click a referral link, successfully register, and be accepted as a GIG member.
The referee’s driving credits are good for use toward your first trip or consecutive trips, depending on the amount.
The existing GIG user (referrer) will receive your driving credits once the referee takes their first trip and uses their driving credits.
All Driving Credits expire 90 days after the award date and can only be used toward future reservation costs.
Referrers can earn a maximum of $500 Driving Credits per year.
Check out the GIG car sharing service to get 1-way car rentals for as long as you need with gas, insurance, and parking included.
You may also be interested in Enterprise CarShare for access to car sharing in additional cities.